Ascor® is vitamin C indicated for the short term (up to 1 week) treatment of scurvy in adult and pediatric patients age 5 months and older for whom oral administration is not possible, insufficient or contraindicated.
ASCOR is not indicated for treatment of vitamin C deficiency that is not associated with signs and symptoms of scurvy.
Important Safety Information
- Ascorbic acid has been associated with development of acute or chronic oxalate nephropathy following prolonged use of high doses of ascorbic acid infusion. Patients with renal disease including renal impairment, history of oxalate kidney stones, geriatric patients, and pediatric patients less than 2 years old may be at increased risk.
- Patients with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency are at risk of severe hemolysis; a reduced dose is recommended.
- Ascorbic acid may interfere with laboratory tests based on oxidation-reduction reactions, including blood and urine glucose testing.
- Ascorbic acid may decrease the activities of erythromycin, kanamycin, streptomycin, doxycycline, and lincomycin. Bleomycin is inactivated in vitro by ascorbic acid.
- Ascorbic acid may cause acidification of the urine and result in decreased amphetamine serum levels and affect excretion and plasma concentrations of other drugs sensitive to urine pH.
Supplied in Pharmacy Bulk Package (PBP)
To report SUSPECTED ADVERSE REACTIONS, contact McGuff Pharmaceuticals, Inc., toll free at 1-800-603-4795 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Ascor Package InsertView OnlineView PDF (297kb)